The fortress was built by the Turks after the Cretan revolution in 1866, during the effort to control Crete again through a net of fortification works. It was built by Hüseyin Avni Paşa and is a representative sample of fortress architecture of 19 th century. The purpose of its location was to control the Apokoronas valley where used to be the passage to Chania. Along with the other Koule fortresses the Turks built it was also controlling the Souda port as well as supporting the Ingedin fortress.
The Koules of Aptera or Subashi fortress is saved until today in a great condition.It is equipped with two towers that are heading to the west ( to control the Kerameia passage) and the east ( towards Kalyves).The first was communicating with the Souda fortress and the koules of Kalyves and Nio Chorio.
The fortress was the biggest fortification establishment of its period and was including spaces that were developing symmetrically in a shape of Π to form a rectangular yard. The circular towers are on the southwest and southeast corner of the fortress, while the central gate is located at the east side well protected by a recess.
The soldiers used to get to the battlements of the Koules chamber through inside wooden stairs. The fortress was equipped with all the necessary barracks spaces, lodging infrastructure, warehousing, imprisonment, food preparation and restauration.The great condition of the fortress is due to the excellent building of its walls.
Koules after the retreat of the Turks from Crete was used as a school for the Megala Chorafia village.
Visit Hours: Dawn to Dusk